You’ll find a lot of reasons why you might want to go green. These reasons include greenhouse gas emissions, global warming and climate change, increasing fuel prices, depleting natural resources and more. Are wood pellets environmentally friendly? In a single word, yes. Installing a wood pellet stove is one way you can go green and lessen your dependence on fossil fuels and natural gas. Learn more about burning wood pellets and this clean energy source.
Are Wood Pellets Environmentally Friendly?
Wood pellets are environmentally friendly. You’ll find several reasons why wood pellets are a green solution to your heating needs. These reasons include:
- Wood pellets are a renewable energy resource. When buying a new furnace or stove, you’ll likely find lots of options to the types of fuel you can use. Propane, oil, gas, and electricity are all common options. Choosing a wood pellet heating system makes you part of a growing number of homeowners that rely on a renewable energy source. Choosing a wood pellet stove means you’re relying on an energy source that’s grown and recycled, not mined and drilled.
- Our local pickup option and delivery service are green and efficient. Energy Pellets of American offers several easy options for getting your wood pellets. If you’re local to Wilmington, Ohio, you can pick up your wood energy pellets in person from our manufacturing facility. If you are opting for our wood pellet delivery service, we take advantage of space on trucks already headed your way. Our simple logistics process reduces the carbon footprint involved with delivery and distribution.
- Wood pellets offer low emissions. According to information from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), pellet stoves rate among the most efficient option for solid-burning heating methods. Because wood pellets are a dense energy source and contain little moisture and little ash, pellets burn completely and efficiently. This allows the hot air produced by your burn to be used efficiently to heat your home, business or commercial enterprise. Statistics from the EPA suggest that each ton of wood pellets burned instead of oil reduces carbon dioxide emissions by approximately 1.5 tons.
- Wood pellets keep pallets out of landfills. Energy Pellets of America responsibly makes wood pellets from 100 percent recycled wood. This prevents retired pallets from going to landfills to rot. Because Energy Pellets of America only uses pallets not treated with chemicals to make pallets and does not use binders in the pellet making process, our pellets are 100 percent natural and clean burning.
- Our wood pellets are sustainable. Recycled wood is a renewable energy resource. Recycling wood shipping pallets prevents waste from going to landfills and creates an environmentally friendly way to heat your home, place of business or commercial site.
Not only are wood pellets sustainable and friendly to the environment, the little bit of ash produced by your pellet stove can be Earth friendly, too. You can use the ash produced by your wood pellet stove to fertilize plants around your home and garden. According to information from the University of Missouri, wood ash contains potassium, lime and calcium. These nutrients can be good for your garden and help your plants grow strong.
Why Use Wood Pellets
Wind and solar energy are green ways to bring electricity into your home. When it comes to heating your home, you might find that few options stack up to a green boiler or furnace.
Today’s wood pellet stoves are cost efficient and environmentally friendly. Nearly one million American homeowners choose to heat their homes with wood pellets. This provides a savings of close to $700 per year over oil or propane.
Energy Pellets of America’s wood pellets contain very little moisture, so they are able to burn with very little ash. This reduces carbon emissions. Wood pellets provide 9,000 BTU per pound, which makes them an energy efficient fuel to heat your home or place of business. Today’s high efficiency wood pellet boilers and stoves burn wood pellets at close to 95 percent combustion. Cord wood and other wood products burn at 70 to 80 percent combustion. This makes wood pellets a green and efficient choice. A 1 ton pallet of wood energy pellets is equal to approximately 3 barrels of fuel oil (Energy Information Administration).
Wood pellets have a very small carbon footprint. Wood absorbs as much carbon when it is growing as is released when it is burnt. By recycling wooden pallets the demand for newly harvested wood fiber is reduced. Existing forests are able to mature longer and absorb more fossil fuel carbons in their life cycle.
Energy Pellets of America makes wood pellets from shipping pallets that are no longer useful in the shipping industry. This makes our pellets a source of renewable energy. Material for the pellets is sourced from discarded, untreated wooden shipping pallets. From there, the wood is broken down into sawdust and then pelletized under high pressure and heat to make the wood pellet fuel. Because the sawdust particles are densely packed and contain very little water, the wood burning pellets burn efficiently and cleanly.
Wood pellets can also be more cost efficient than heating with cord wood or wood chips. Because they are compressed wood fibers and sold in 40 lb bags, handling and shipping costs can be lower for wood pellets Generally speaking, wood pellets are less expensive to distribute than wood chips.
Additionally, our pellets meet and/or exceed all United States and European Union standards for premium quality pellets. Pellets are tested by a third party laboratory to make sure the premium label has been earned. This means that third party tests prove our wood pellets have a high heat value, contain less than 8 percent moisture, and have less than 1 percent ash.
Get Started with Wood Pellets Today
Those seeking an environmentally friendly way to heat their home, place of business or commercial business will find that wood pellets are an easy, green solution. Wood pellets are a clean-burning, versatile and sustainable method of providing heat. Energy Pellets of America makes premium, recycled wood pellets that can be used to fuel a pellet stove and more. Learn more about our wood pellets or place your order today. Call us at (937) 265-0676 to get started with our wood pellets today.